Utilising the Sports Premium funding that the school receives, Richmond aims to
- Enrich lives through providing greater opportunity to participate in a range of sports.
- Improve children’s fitness, health and general well-being through being more active.
- Ensure a greater understanding is held by children of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.
- Develop a programme to encourage the teaching staff to actively support the above strategies.
- Continue to improve reputation of the school in this area of children’s learning experience.
Richmond is committed to sport and is part of Southends SPSSA: Southend Primary School Sports Association - About Us (spssa.co.uk)
Who strive to give the young people in the borough of Southend the opportunity to access high quality physical education and school sport.
Swimming at Richmond
By the end of KS2, we aim to ensure all pupils have taken part in swimming lessons and learnt basic skills.
For the prior cohort:
- Children had weekly swimming lessons for one at least half a term in years 4,5 and 6
- 58 Children in year 6 had targeted swimming lessons for half a term
- 49/58 could swim 25m unaided by the end of the school year
Children learnt a number of strokes including:
- Front crawl
- Breast stroke
- More able swimmers also learnt butterfly (freestyle) strokes
Children also learnt self-rescue skills in different water based situations. This was a focused priority when in year 6.
More details on the use of Sports Premium funding can be found in the reports below: