EYFS - Reception
The Early Years Foundation Stage is based around four Key Themes, three Prime areas and Four Specific Areas of Learning.
The themes are:
- A Unique Child - Every child is a competent learner from birth who can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- Positive Relationships - Children learn to be strong and independent from a base of loving and secure relationships with parents and/or a key person.
- Enabling Environments - The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children's development and learning.
- Learning and Development - Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates and all areas of Learning and Development are equally important and inter-connected.
The three prime areas are:
- Personal Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
The four specific areas are:
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
Core subjects are taught through skilful adult intervention in continuous provision (‘In The Moment Planning’). This is supported by a carefully designed learning environment.
Literacy in Reception
Children learn through self-directed opportunities to read and write that are then enhanced by experienced adult support to move their learning on.
Speaking and Listening is taught through role modelling of meaningful sentences, widening vocabulary, active listening and turn taking in conversation.
Phonics is taught through Letters and Sounds, with children grouped according to ability.
Helicopter Stories is used to allow children to tell their own stories, which are then dictated by an adult before being dramatised for a group. This process then enables children to move on swiftly to develop their independent writing skills.
Maths in Reception
Children learn through experiencing number, shape and space in a practical way in the real world, before moving on to making mathematical representations and models with specially chosen equipment, before finally recording their endeavours on paper. Marvellous Maths Sessions are more focussed sessions with small groups of children which begin as the children progress through reception.
More details about the organisation and delivery of the curriculum of EYFS can be read in the EYFS Policy.
We encourage parents and carers to also share learning at home with the school. Below you can download and print 'WOW' cards which can be filled in and sent into school with the children when they do something amazing at home or have a 'WOW' moment.